At the Incline Village/Crystal Citizens Advisory Board (CAB) Meeting on Monday evening, October 4th, Commissioner Hill reported the following items related to Short Term Rentals (STR)
- 564 STR applications have been filed. Many applicants are not passing inspections and are requiring further County inspections.
- 336 STR permits have been issued. The 336 permits are included in the 564 applications filed.
- 790 STR properties are being advertised for Incline Village/Crystal Bay. Since only 336 properties have been issued permits, all others are operating illegally. To find locations of the properties with approved permits, instructions are here. If there is a property near you operating a STR without a permit, please contact Host Compliance (see item 4).You are encouraged to capture videos/photos/audio recordings as proof of violations. We have been advised by Commissioner Hill that it is legal to video/photograph/audio record STR violations from your own property.
- If you are having a problem with a STR near you, you’re encouraged to file complaints with Host Compliance either online or by phone. https://www.washoecounty.gov/csd/planning_and_development/short_term_rentals/file_a_complaint.php and again take video to provide proof of the problem being reported.
- The County is contacting owners of properties who are operating STRs without permits. Commissioner Hill will be following up to verify these property owners are being fined and if not, to understand why. A total of over 250 letters of non-compliance have been mailed with only about 30 of those submitting STR applications to date.
- There is a community meeting being scheduled for October 19th at 6pm to solicit additional community feedback on the STR ordinance. The meeting information can be found here.
- The County will not be reviewing the STR ordinance in November as planned. Commissioner Hill has requested this be delayed until January 2022 so that she will be able to attend the meeting.
- The County is considering changing their method of occupancy calculations. As the ordinance is written and has been implemented, the maximum occupancy of a residence is calculated by using 200 square feet of habitable space for each occupant. This means if a property has 2,400 square feet of habitable space, which does not include bathrooms, hallways, closets, utility rooms and similar spaces, the maximum occupancy would be 12 people. Staff Is proposing a method of maximum occupancy calculation that is less stringent.
Sign up to receive email notifications when CAB agenda are published by emailing CAB@WashoeCounty.gov
Future agenda items include:
- Determining how the CABs will be allowed to make recommendations on any development projects in the future
- Updates on the status of TTD’s plans on the former Incline Village Old Elementary School site and alternative sites
- Proposed use of herbicides into Lake Tahoe
- Boulder Bay Project plans
- Incline Village Dog Park
The CAB is collecting community recommendations for topics for upcoming CAB meetings.
Community members are encourage to submit suggested topics for future CAB meetings by emailing your recommendations to CAB@WashoeCounty.gov and to Chairman Diane Becker at email@example.com. Please do not be disappointed if your suggestions are not immediately addressed, as the CAB has already received a list of many critical community topics and the CAB has been advised that each CAB meeting should address two topics, or possibly three topics, due to the time limitations on the evening meeting.